30 days challenge: no internet area
I always had troubles at getting up early in the morning.
Yesterday (yesterday night, of course) I was lying in my bed surfing the internet. I woke up to drink a glass of water and noticed my room mate was doing the same (at the moment I live in a double room with another computer engineering student). It was.. ehrr… late.
I asked him: “Why can’t we be like normal people and get to bed early?”
He replied: “Because we have an internet connection, and we know how many things we can find on the ‘net. We should like stop using our computer after a certain our at night”.
I asked. “Shall we accept the challenge?”
“Of course no!” He replied.
Yeah, end of funny story.
Let’s come to the serious business. I decided to take the challenge, actually.
Of course, turning off computer after a certain our seems a little bit too extreme to me, so I’m giving myself this challenge: after 10:30 pm I should use no network connection, for thirty days.
Here are the rules:
- After 10:30pm I cannot make connections from my laptop to any other computer, including hosts on my LAN (and VPNs) until the following morning.
- I can still use the computer with network connection turned off.
- Rules applies to my mobile phone too. I cannot use 3G data connection or wireless networks, but I can keep it turned on in case someone has to call me.
And the exceptions:
- all-night-long Capture The Flag competitions (kinda rare, actually)
- I cannot reach hosts outside my computer, but I can reach hosts “on” my computer. That is, I can use network functionalities with virtualized hosts.
- If for any reason I end up somewhere not in my house and it’s very late and I have my laptop with me, I am allowed to use it (you know, the kind of weird things that happens when you go out at night with venom00 — POuL people will understand this).
If you never heard about 30 days challenge, here’s a brief description:
I’ve know about this for a while, but never actually took a serious challenge myself.
So, what else to say? Today’s gonna be the first night, it’s gonna be a long long night. LOL.